A cover letter is a one page overview of your relevant skills, experiences, and education to support your candidacy for a specific position.
It reminds the reader why you are a strong match for the position and references the key qualifications you highlight in the introduction and body paragraphs
A good cover letter should include:
• your name, email address and phone number at the top of the page on the right
• the name of the business and the contact person’s full name (if you know it) on the left
• the date you wrote the letter on the right
• a reference line (e.g., “Re: Application for XYZ Job position”)
• an address to the reader directly (e.g., “Dear Mr. Brown” – try to avoid using “To whom it may concern” if you can)
• an opening statement that briefly introduces you to the reader
• a main body that highlights the skills and experiences you have that are relevant to the job
• a closing paragraph asking to arrange an interview.
Other things you can mention in your cover letter include:
• general skills that help you work in a team and as part of an organisation
• personal attributes that will help you learn to work in a professional work environment
• school work experience or volunteer work that demonstrates your strengths and attributes
• any sporting or community club participation (if relevant)
• any hobbies or interests that are relevant to the job or demonstrate your professional experience.
SAMPLE COVER LETTER IN RESPONSE TO AN ADVERTISED POSITION
PO BOX 40
PERTH HILLS WA 6012
30 April 0000
Mr Steve Dunn
Manager, Human Resources
The XYZ ABC Company Pty Ltd
PO Box 6666
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Dear Mr Dunn,
“Standard” opening and your present circumstances
INITIAL PARAGRAPH: State the reason for the letter, the specific position or type of work for which you are applying, and indicate from which resource (i.e., Jobs website, news media, friend, employment consultant) you learned of the opening. Some examples include:
I wish to apply for the position of __________ (job title) __________ with __________ (name of organisation) Advertised in _________ on _________ (name of source eg paper, and date) __________ OR I am writing to express my interest in the position of _______________.
Your advertisement in the ____________ for a ______________seems to perfectly match my background and experience.
You will see from the enclosed resume that I am at present __________ (details of what you are doing eg final-year / graduate / postgraduate). I am extremely keen to ___________ (perhaps a comment on your keenness to commence in a particular field) _____________.
SECOND PARAGRAPH: Indicate your interest in “this” organisation and “support” your interest
My qualifications for the position include —–
I believe my background in —–
I have experience/education in the field of —-
THIRD PARAGRAPH: Closing remarks (contact details / final expression of interest, indicate your desire for a personal interview and your flexibility as to the time and place.)
I look forward to the possibility of discussing my interest in this position at an interview and would be pleased to supply any other particulars you might require.
For an interview, I can be reached at ————–
Thank you for considering my application