Cover Letter Template for Customising Your Job Application
Your cover letter, if properly used and created, can be an effective marketing tool. Your aim is to demonstrate why your education, work experience, skills, and background uniquely qualify you for the position you’re applying for.
Here are some points to consider when preparing your cover letter:
– Address the letter to the contact person or to the Human Resources Director.
– Use a font size of 10 to 14 points
– Cover letters should be individually typed and signed.
– Use terms and phrases that are meaningful to the employer.
– Check your letter for errors and grammatical correctness.
– Pay special attention to the job description as it provides specific cover letter instructions.
– A cover letter has three main sections:
1. FIRST PARAGRAPH
• Identify the position for which you are applying.
• State how you learned of the position and why you are interested in the position or organization.
2. SECOND PARAGRAPH
• Summarise why you are a strong candidate for the position.
• Target the job description and specifically discuss how your skills relate to the job requirements.
• Highlight one or two of your accomplishments or abilities that show you are an excellent candidate for the position.
• Detail positive characteristics and past experiences that illustrate how your qualifications will benefit the organisation.
3. CLOSING PARAGRAPH
• Thank the person for considering your résumé and offer to provide additional information.
• Include your phone number and when you can be reached.
Here is an example/sample Cover Letter
Landsdale, State 118909
July 1, 2xxx
Department of XYZ
123 Local Street
Anytown, State 228909
Dear Mr. John:
I am writing in response to your posting on the Career Vacancy Posting site for the Human Resources Analyst position. I believe my qualifications make me an excellent candidate for the position.
I possess more than four years of human resources experience in recruitment and staffing, benefits administration, and workforce planning. Throughout my career I have demonstrated the ability to establish excellent client relationships and to develop and implement innovative solutions to address a wide variety of human resources challenges. I have excellent organisational abilities and strong decision making skills.
Enclosed is my résumé for your review. I would appreciate the chance to meet with you to discuss the ways in which I can help the Department of XYZ achieve its goals and objectives. I can be reached at the phone numbers listed on my résumé.
Thank you for your time and consideration.